Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Gun Report magazines...

Guns have never been my thing (I own a .22 Browning rifle and do know how to shoot) but when you do Western History, you get to deal with books (and magazines) about guns, like it or not.

I have been listing The Gun Report magazines for the last week. Man, are they boring! Just listing the articles and authors again and again turns into a pain. I probably have another week's worth of them to list.

I can tell you that C. Meade Patterson contributed to almost every issue with some major article - many of them in parts.

They talk about Mexican guns, European guns, Civil War guns, even Revolutionary War guns, the Gatling Gun - you name it, they probably have an article on it. And since this subject doesn't fascinate me (OK, I did read about McKinley's assassination and some on the Gatling Gun), it's just not as much fun. I don't imagine most men want to list Harlequin romance books either. Of course, I'm not fond of listing those either, LOL!

There's a lot of good analysis in the articles, this information could be useful to a writer who wanted know more about the weapons used. Or, if you're a gun collector, this should be right up your alley.

So I'm suffering here, but I'm listing them for you!

Here's a sample for you:

The Gun Report Volume V No 6 November 1959 Title: The Gun Report Volume V No 6 November 1959

Publisher: Aledo IL World-Wide Gun Report 1959

Seller ID: 018052

Softcover. In very good condition, light cover wear and soiling. Battle of the Titans by Dr. Gerald Atlas, Inscriptions on Guns by H J Kauffman, Captain Hall, Inventor (Second of Two Parts) by Charlotte Judd Fairbairn & C Meade Patterson, Redskin Napoleons by Carl W Breihan, Another Approach to Specialization by Capt R C Williamson, and more.

Guns Firearms Pistols Rifles

Price = 25.00 USD

Hope someone will be interested in these, they do have a lot of historical references in them.

Jo Ann Hakola, The Book Faerie, www.bookfaerie.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking for copy or phoptocopy of
the Gun Report, Volume 35, No.10.MARCH 1990
Antique leather and it's care, by Stephen Dorsey is the article in question.
Robert Looby blooby1@verizon.net

Journey of a Bookseller said...

I don't have this issue and did not find another on the net to suggest. I also do not see this article available anywhere. Perhaps you could do a library search to see if one of them holds a copy?

past pieces said...

I'm looking for a "the gun report" with an articular by R.Stephen Dorsey , subject"open top Winchester 1873's

hope you can help.

Ken 616-821-1751

Journey of a Bookseller said...

The magazines I have only go to 1980. The particular issue you want is The Gun Report of October, 1983. Here is the only thing I found on line (it's sold, but shows what you are looking for): http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329690971

I don't see any copies online now. Perhaps you could put a want on eBay for it.

Best of luck to you.

Unknown said...

i am looking for an article that apparently ran in the "the gun report" magazine titled "Settle Riflemakers of Kentucky" by DeWitt Settle, W., R. Green and C. Meade Patteson.; I believe that it may be in the December 1961 issue.

Joel Simmons joel.simmons@pacificorp.com

Journey of a Bookseller said...

Joel,
I don't have a copy of that magazine for that date but I did an internet search and found this info on the net:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY/2009-03/1237230479
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY/2009-04/1240232953

It appears this might the article you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Robert Swartz said...

Did you happen to list the article on circumventions of the rollin white patent.

Journey of a Bookseller said...

It doesn't appear to be in the ones I have listed. Good luck in your search.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...