Thursday, September 30, 2010

Comes a Time for Burning by Steven Havill

Young doctor Thomas Parks is happy to be acquiring a partner in his office.  Between logger accidents and other small emergencies, he's quite busy.  But he never expected encounter a city-wide emergency in the next few days...

This book is from Poisoned Pen Press, who has lots of wonderful mysteries for you to peruse.  I've found several that I've enjoyed reading.  You can find this mystery in your local bookstore, it's already been published.

As I started reading this book, I recognized the character.  The story is set in a small coastal village in northern Washington state in 1892.  I lived in Washington for years, and the logging information supplied in this book is accurate.  So are the living conditions in late 1800's.  Mr. Havill did a nice job with his research on this book. 

He has also created a very strong, humble, honest character (Dr. Thomas) that I really enjoy following.  It's been quite a while since I read the first book in this series, Race for the Dying, but this character was like visiting with an old friend again.

While this is not a murder mystery, it is a mystery why this small village is suddenly fighting cholera.  With no real way to fight it, no real knowledge in what to fight it with, and the nearest city with any help miles away, it's fight against death.

Mr. Havill's murder mysteries are good, but I have to say he excels in this historical series with Dr. Thomas.  I'm hoping we can look forward to more in this series.  They're an excellent read and I highly recommend the books.  Check with your local bookstore and get yourself some good reading! 

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...