Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Fire Lord's Lover by Kathryne Kennedy

It's not easy being an Elf.  If his father finds out his power is strengthening, he'll kill him.  And his fiance seems to want to kill his father - and perhaps him, also.

Sourcebooks Casablanca sent me a copy of this paperback for review (thank you).  This book is currently available in the market. Check with your local bookstore.

I don't normally read romance, but I just couldn't pass up the chance to read about elves.  Magic tantalizes me.  I wasn't very far into the book before I realized that Ms. Kennedy had captured my attention and it would really be a pleasure to read this book.

The Fire Lord is pure evil and cares not about any human.  His son is one-half human, and that's enough to make his father angry.  Especially since he doesn't have the power of the black flame that his father uses indiscriminately against his enemies.  To stay alive, the son has learned not to show any emotion and, in turn, has become almost as cold as his father.

The author does a very nice job of describing her characters feelings, the kingdoms and cities of the times and the danger the newly married couple are facing.  Her characters are strong, focused on their goals, and they have the perseverance to keep on even during catastrophic events.

One interesting story point is that it's an arranged marriage and Lady Cassandra is there to kill the Fire Lord.  His son is simply a way to have access to her goal.  But he's half human and they both begin to feel a fire of a different type - they're attracted.  There is a lot of sex in this book, but it's tastefully done and adds to the tale of the son and his new wife.

I found the plot intriguing, would never have guessed the ending, and I'm very much looking forward to next story in this series.  I can't wait to see where Ms. Kennedy takes her characters next...

I highly recommend this book as a very good fantasy tale with elves, humans, and love.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Benjamin Impossible by Timothy Root

It’s NOT EASY being the smartest 12-year-old in the world! Benjamin Impossible is a genius, kung fu master, and winner of the Franklin Count...