Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nosh, Schlep, Schluff BabYiddish by Laurel Snider

Do you know Yiddish words?  You might and not even realize it!


Random House Books for Young Readers sent me a copy of this board book for review (thank you).  It was distributed for sale in January, so you can get a copy at your local bookstore now.


This is a fun story that is written in rhyme and includes Yiddish words.  The meaning of the words is explained in the text.  And I found it amazing that I knew almost every one one of these words and how they were used before I started reading this book.  


I hadn't realized how many Jewish words were in common use in the English language.  Although I shouldn't be surprised.  My Grandparents were immigrants and spoke Czech.  My husband's Grandparents were immigrants and spoke Finnish.  We have remnants of most of the European countries languages in English so why not Yiddish, too?


Children will enjoy the colorful illustrations and the fun rhymes as they read along.  They will also enjoy learning new words they can add to their vocabulary!


It's a perfect gift for Hanukkah, but why wait that long?  Pick up a copy now and share a good read with new words that are fun to say.


Happy reading!

No comments:

Black Magic Kitten by Sara Bourgeois

Kinsley Skeenbauer never thought she would go home. At seventeen, she’d left Coventry and didn’t look back. But after a messy divorce, she p...