Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Dagger Quick by Brian Eames

Christopher is twelve and doesn't want to be a cooper.  He wants to be a sailor and spend his life at sea.  But his father disagrees...


Simon & Schuster sent me an ebook of this for review (thank you).  The book will be coming out in May in hardcover and ebook form and is for grades 3-7.  Check with your local bookstore for a copy.  I'd get the hardcover.  I'm sure this is a story that be will read again and again.


Mr. Eames grabs your attention at the very beginning of the book when Christopher's father's brother shows up in town.  He's a pirate.  And he wants his brother and Christopher to make him lots of new barrels and go with him to pick up a treasure.  Since Christopher never thought he'd really have a chance to go sea with his clubfoot, he's real excited about it - at the beginning.


The author's characters are strong people who respond quickly to unbearable challenges.  They do what they must.


This is an action-packed tale of the time when Harry Morgan was on the seas and the author has researched the time period accurately.  Danger walks the pages of this book.


It's written for the young, but I loved reading this book.  I think there will probably be more in this series; I hope so!  I highly recommend this book.


Get yourself a copy and see what you think


Happy reading!

3 comments:

Brian said...

I am so glad you enjoyed it, Jo Ann! I loved writing it. Thank you for such wonderful praise. I am working on the sequel now.... Best, Brian

Journey of a Bookseller said...

That's great, Brian! Can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

My daughter, age 11, just finished "The Dagger Quick" minutes ago and came to ask me whether the sequel is out. She knew that with the endng, there must be another book coming.

My older daughter, nearly 15, has been recommending the book to others.

The audience in central Iowa builds and waits!

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...