Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill

He has everything he could possibly want and life is lovely.  So how did he end up in jail?

HarperCollins is publishing the US edition of this book and sent me an ARC for review.  It is in your local bookstore now, so check with them for a copy.

This is a very complex story covering 519 pages of words that toy with you.  This the first time I've read Mr. Hill's work and I'm impressed with how much of everyone's lives he manages to insert in his work.  This is all a no nonsense account of how Wolf finds himself accused of being a pedophile, with lots of evidence to support it.  Wolf declares his innocence; no one listens, not even his wife.  An abortive attempt at escape puts him in the hospital in a coma and years pass before he wakes again.

Wolf is a very complex character.  He's a dangerous man to cross.  He has friends in high places and his position is secure.  Or maybe it isn't...

As he learns about the treachery around him and tries to take action to find out the truth, the agency he used to work comes to life and starts meddling in the affair.  It's not until the very end that you realize just how badly everyone has manipulated Wolf.

I didn't really like Wolf and the book seemed almost too long, but I think the author used that space to get his points across.  I know this isn't a book I will forget easily.  If you're ready for a dangerous ride, this is the book for you.

If you'd like to win my ARC, leave a comment here on my blog and email at info at bookfaerie.com with YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS and why you'd like to read the book.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...