Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Accident by Linwood Barclay

Glen is waiting for his wife to come home.  She's never this late.  He soon awakens his daughter and goes to look for his wife.  Unfortunately, he finds her...

Bantam, a division of Random House, and Net Galley gave me the opportunity to read this ebook for review (thank you).  It was published the first part of August, so you can find a copy of it in your local bookstore now.

Sheila has been killed in a car accident.  She was parked where she shouldn't be and she was drunk, which was not like her.  Glen cannot believe she'd drink too much and drive.  She never drank much anyway.  All he knows is that he's lost his wife and he doesn't know why.

This is a well written mystery with lot of ugly characters in it.  The setting is a small town that is normally calm and well mannered, but there is a lot of evil percolating inside those homes.  I had to read the whole book before I had a clue of just how many were involved and how the story tied together.

The author does an excellent job in building reality into her story.  Each person has their own separate motivation for their actions.  And the central bad people were folks I never even considered as suspects.  I love it when a book does that to me.

All the blocks start tumbling down after Sheila's "accident".  Why not get a copy and see if you can figure out who the killer is before the end.  If you do, let me know.  And tell me why you thought so.  I bet you don't identify the bad guys until the end either...

Happy reading.

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...