Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Nightfall by Stephen Leather

This story had me hooked when someone he doesn't even know looks at him and says:  "You're going to hell, Jack Nightingale."  No one else hears it, the person doesn't even remember saying it, but it's haunting Jack.  It'd bother me, too.  What's that mean?  Eventually Jack finds out.

47North and Wunderkind Press shared a copy of this book with me for review (thank you).  It's being published today, so you can grab a copy now.

Jack was a police negotiator until he went after the father of an abused child who committed suicide.  The father went out the window, and Jack won't explain what happened.  Most of the cops believe he threw him out and think he's a hero, but it ends his job on the force.  He's OK with that, he'll just be a private investigator instead.  However, he never expected to become his own client...

When he visits a attorney's office and finds out he has inherited a house, he's at a loss as to why.  The attorney informs him his real father left it to him.  His real father?  He already had a real father and mother and they died in an accident.  What's this guy talking about?

The mystery grows deeper, more people die and more people threaten Jack with hell.  In time, he finds out why.

This is an action packed thriller with a touch of paranormal and romance.  The author grabs your attention and drags you through the rest of the story while you wonder how Jack is going out of the trouble he's in. It's an intriguing tale that held my interest all the way through.  Why don't you get a copy and see what you think about it?  I'd love to get your input.

I am giving away the ARC I received.  If you would like to win my copy, leave a comment here on the blog and then email me at info at bookfaerie.com with your name and address and tell me why you'd like to read it.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

Happy reading.

2 comments:

ChristyJan said...

This sounds like quite a suspenseful mystery novel!
I’m really intrigued after reading your review.

Stephen Leather said...

Thanks for a wonderful review, Jo Ann! You made my day!

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...