Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Francesca of Lost Nation by Lucinda Sue Crosby

Sarah and her family live with her grandmother, Fancesca, on the family farm.  The land belongs to the women of the family, it's been in the family for years, and there are mysteries in the hills surrounding it.  What Sarah doesn't realize is that this is going to be one of the most important summers of her life.

Ms. Crosby sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It's a very good read and I'm adding my copy to my personal library.  You can buy an ebook or a paperback copy at Amazon now.

Sarah's father wins a trip to Paris and takes his wife away for a whirlwind tour, leaving Sarah with her grandmother.  Sarah loves time with Francesca, so she's happy with this arrangement.

The story is set in the late 40's and reflects the slower pace of life as well as the fact that most people were more self-sufficient then.  I found myself easily relating to the story because I spent a lot of time with my grandparents.  I knew about all those special moments you have with a grandmother.  I also know that sometimes they were like strangers when something bad happened or they were upset.

This author does a very good job of making the story authentic, her words flow well, and the story is simple and complex both at the same time.  At one point, I was as disappointed and upset as Francesca was, but she revives herself and moves on and we both felt better.

Of all the things this story is, it is mostly a story of love.  How one woman can love more than one man, and how each love has it's own depth and reward.  If you've never loved and lost, then reading this will give you some insight on how it feels.  You'll also rejoice when Francesca finds a new love later in life.

Why not get yourself a copy and settle in a comfortable with your cup of coffee or tea and get ready to follow Sarah and Francesca through a summer they will never forget?

Happy reading.     

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...