Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Road Trip by Gary Paulsen and Jim Paulsen

Have you ever rescued an animal?  I've been rescuing them my whole life, so I knew I'd enjoy reading this book about picking up a rescue dog by taking a road trip.  I also knew I'd enjoy reading it because Gary Paulsen wrote it.  It was a pleasant surprise to find out he had collaborated with his son to create this story.  It made it even more special.

Wendy Lamb Books sent me a copy of this story for review (thank you).  It has been published, so you can grab a copy at your local bookstore now.

Ben is not excited about going on a road trip; he had planned to go to hockey camp this summer.  Unfortunately, there's not enough money to send him to camp, so here he is.  It's 5:30 AM and they are heading out to go rescue a Border collie puppy.  

Things are a bit testy between Ben and his dad.  Dad has decided to redo houses and resell them as his new job.  Ben doesn't approve.  Atticus sits between them and tries to moderate the conversation (Border collies are like that), but no one is paying much attention.  Then Ben decides to bring a friend.  His dad doesn't approve, but he allows it.

From there, things get even more interesting.  The pickup breaks down.  Ben's dad borrows a bus and gets the garage owner, too.  They pick up another passenger, and they even drag race with the cops.   This is not your normal road trip.

This is written for ages 10+ and while I was way +++, I really enjoyed this tale.  It's full of good and bad and silliness and isn't the slightest bit boring.  I wouldn't mind reading it again.  I bet your middle grader will want to read it more than once, too.

Happy reading.  

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...