Friday, September 20, 2013

Sophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller

You've heard of pet rocks, right?  How about a pet squash?

Random House Children's Books sent me a copy of this picture book for review (thank you).  It has been published, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

Children develop attachments to things.  I have an old panda bear, missing one eye and it's tail, and it has no hair left.  That was the bear of my  childhood that went to bed with me each night.  I have that and I also have a leopard spotted blanket that became my "sit outside blanket" in my hope chest.  Sophie's squash won't last as long as my "attachments" have!

This is a sweet little story of a girl that decides this squash is just the right size to be her baby.  She uses a black marker to put a face on it and calls it Bernice.  Everything is fine for a while, but a squash only lasts so long.

When she visits the farmer's market again and asks what squash need, he tells her fresh air, good soil, and lots of love.  So Sophie buries her squash.  And is pleasantly surprised in the spring when Bernice pops green leaves through the ground...

Anne Wilsdorf's illustrations are simple, peaceful and easily convey Sophie's feeling for her baby squash.

I found this to be a cute read with plenty of charm.  Little ones should enjoy this story, and the ending is special, too.  Check it out.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...