Sunday, February 23, 2014

The High Druid’s Blade: The Defenders of Shannara by Terry Brooks

Paxon never paid any attention to the old sword hanging over the fireplace.  He worked, took care of his mother and his sister and that was it.  At least it was until the sorcerer kidnapped his sister...

Del Rey and Edelweiss gave the opportunity to read this story in ebook form for review (thank you).  It will be published in July.  I couldn't wait that long to read it...

I was hooked way back in 1977 when the Sword of Shannara came out.  I love high adventure fantasy reads with lots of action and a bit of romance and magic.  I also like it when it's a fast dance to the end of the book.  I read that entire series.  Finding this new book coming out made me excited; I had to read it!  It's just as good as the previous books were, you won't want to miss it.

Paxon goes to retrieve his sister and takes the sword with him.  He figures he needs something to help him defeat the sorcerer.  What he doesn't know is that he has the magical power to command the sword.  Suddenly his quest is changing to something else.  Not only does he have this power, he's been asked to join the Druids as a defender/protector.  He wanted something more in his life and this seems to fit the bill.  He agrees.

When his sister is kidnapped again, he heads out to retrieve her, with a Druid to help him.  This is a busy plot:  There is a traitor in the Druids; the sorcerer has big plans for the future; there is a witch and brainwashing, and more.  It's a full bodied story filled with good and bad people.  I really enjoyed this read.  There will be more in this series, I'm sure.  And I'm glad.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...