Thursday, March 27, 2014

Carousel Sun by Sharon Lee

Kate Archer is back in town, running the carousel and being Guardian of the land.  Things were going south before her arrival; now she's here and trying to put things straight again.  Both her grandmother and mother are ill and are trying to recover from the past trials.  She's hoping things will settle down, but Joe Nemeier is still alive and living close and running drugs.  Maybe the cops will catch him; not likely.

Baen Books and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book for review.  It was published in February so you can grab a copy now.  I missed the window of opportunity to read the ebook, so I ordered myself a copy.  I'm fond of Sharon Lee's writing and this book met my expectations.  My copy is going in my personal library.

Kate hears the land and its' feelings.  She sees beings humans don't.  And she can slide sideways to check out the type of magic being used.  That sounds like a handy talent, doesn't it?

There are a few similarities here to the faerie world.  There are ways to phrase things so you don't get trapped or owe things you don't want to.  There are actions you can't take without offense.  Keeping all that straight, watching over care for the land and fighting monsters definitely keeps you busy.  Some of the best parts of the story were instigated by the humans.  They might not have magic, but they do have friendship. I also liked the light easy romance that Kate has going with Borgan, the sea guardian.  He's attracted to her, too, but they have different magics and they have to be careful how they handle it.

I really enjoyed this book and will be watching for the next in the series.  After all, Joe is still alive and dealing drugs...

No comments:

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...