Friday, May 23, 2014

What Can You Do With Only One Shoe? Simon Shapiro, Sheryl Shapiro, Francis Blake

I love this book!  If it's no longer useful or broken, don't throw it out; find another use!

Annick Press and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

The theme here is reuse, recycle, reinvent.  I've also seen a term used now called "upcycle".  That means use old to make new.

I grew up in a household that didn't have a lot of stuff.  You used everything, hand-me-downs went through the family until they were so worn they became rags or quilts.  Empty cans became button holders.  We kept spice containers that had shaker tops so we could use them when baking for things like cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar to go on cookies.  I could really relate to this book.

I like the idea of putting your old sneaker on a tree so a bird can make a nest in it.  There are lots of ideas in this book and they are all expressed in rhymes.  It makes it much more fun to read.  The ideas are useful, too.  Even if they just get you started on "What could I do with that?" it's worth the price of the book.

How inventive can you and your family be?

No comments:

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...