Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Angry Little Puffin by Timothy Young


The poor little puffin is so disappointed.  Everyone thinks he's a penguin!

Schiffer Publishing Ltd and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published September 28th, so watch for a copy then.

This book is a winner from two perspectives:  illustration and education.  The illustrations are vibrant and the animals leap from the pages.  You'll also learn facts about puffins by reading this story.

I felt so bad for the puffin.  I wanted to suggest to zoo staff they put a name badge on him.  However, one little girl visiting knew he was a puffin and how he was different from the penguins.  He just stands there full of pride as she mentions they grow on opposite ends of the earth and he can fly while penguins can't.  

I have a special relationship with animals and I'm sure he knew what she was saying.  After all, the Chihuahua raven at the Alamogordo zoo told me his name was Eduardo and he was so thrilled when I got it.  I told the park ranger in the gift shop about it and I could tell she thought I was crazy.  Just because you don't listen to him, lady, don't think we all don't!

Even when another visitor comes through and calls him a penguin again, he doesn't mind.  He's too busy feeling good about connecting with the little girl.

This is a cute book about zoo animals that will make any child smile.  Take a peek at it and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...